8/03/2011

Elementary OS 0.1 Jupiter review


Elementary OS 0.1 Jupiter, the first Elementary OS version, and a wonderful premier for their upcoming projects.


Jupiter is based on Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat with a few elements removed and added. But I have to say, a large majority of Maverick's important default apps are removed rather than replaced, such as Eye of GNOME, the traditional GNOME games, a large majority of Office software (with only the word processor and spreadsheet applications replaced), Rhythmbox (yes, there is no default audio player in Jupiter), PiTiVi (but no complaints from me there).

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
The default desktop is absolutely a delight to the eye; the dark gnome-panel and menus, Docky and a very refreshing wallpaper. Here's the preliminary glimpse of Jupiter, from my own desktop (unfortunately I isn't my own desktop. I didn't get the time to screenshoot, so I used this instead. Courtesy OMG! Ubuntu!):
Docky items, from left to right: Midori, Postler, Dexter, Empathy, Lingo, Shotwell, AbiWord, Gnumeric, Ubuntu Software Center and Terminal
From the screenshot, you can see the panel and a Docky instance. Essentially, the desktop is just like Maverick, but the bottom panel has been replaced with Docky.

Now, at booting time, I can honestly say it's pretty damn fast, even without those unnecessary startup applications. But apart from its visuals, lightning speed and familiarity, I guess... well, let me sum it up here:
PLUSES
  • It's so goddamn fast. For shit, it is. Usually, with a traditional Ubuntu release, pre-Natty, I can go to the kitchen, drink a glass of water, then return to my seat and I'm still faced with plymouth. With Jupiter, damn, I'm already halfway to the kitchen, and I can already sense that it's on GDM. Keep in mind that I'm using a netbook, which is very infamous for its tendency to lag and its obvious overheat prone devices, so a 30 second boot time is viciously impressive.
  • I'm feeding my eyes one of these. With a breath of mint. What more can I say? It's just absolutely graceful, I'm losing words and images to describe it. And let me give you this: blend it with Faenza-Darker, and your eyes will ejaculate.
  • Do I know this from somewhere? Yes I do. Behind it's elegance, it's backed up by one of the most popular Linux distributions: Ubuntu. It's like going out with a supermodel for the first time, but it feels like you're socializing with the not-so-attractive ex-girlfriend of yours.
  • It's not a wearing shorts with socks. I'm trying to say is that GTK integration is really taken seriously. I believe the reason OpenOffice and Firefox wasn't included is because they aren't 100% GTK apps. So, in essence, with Jupiter, all the applications seem to really blend in with its desktop, naturally.
MINUSES
  • Where's that app...? Even though I complemented about its minimalist approach, I think they taken it half a step too far. Although they've got the basics covered, it seems like they've done it too basic. There's just so much missing for what the average user would expect, you'd think is an anorexic distro. Hell, even the "ping" command can't be found!
  • I want to change this. Sadly, you can't. Well, you can, but I can't see what you're doing and where I'm going. It's really quite frustrating that Docky and the panel are completely locked from any kind of modification. Yes, it is possible to unlock it, but since when does the average Joe go, "hey, this panel is locked. And I can't find how to customize this dock app. I know! I'll just go to gconf-editor and navigate to /apps/docky-2/Docky/Items/DockyItem! I bet I can get something from there!"
    This is Linux. (In)Famous for its freedom. It wouldn't really be following the philosophy if you make a distro for everybody, but force people to work with the excessively locked desktop.
CONCLUSION
It's awesome. For me. I'm a moderately experienced Linux user, and I know my way around enough to know it's awesome. But not everyone is like me. For someone who's just migrated from Windows, I wouldn't suggest Jupiter. Yes, it's nice and all, but it's extremely meatless when compared to Ubuntu or Linux Mint. But then I don't think Jupiter was never meant to compare to Ubuntu nor Linux Mint. Jupiter is elementary, whilst those two aren't so much.

If you're a Linux user with mild experience -- I'll say around 2 months -- then get Jupiter. It's a eyecandy, it's lightning, it's a ballerina. Combine that, and you've got Pikachu on jet-powered rollerskates.
How fucking sexy is that?
Unfortunately, I was unable to draw Pikachu with rollerskates, but I was able to draw him on his own jet-powered hoverpod. I swear, it's equally awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment